They/Them is a Blumhouse slasher film set at an LGBTQIA+ conversion camp.
Peacock has finally shared the release date for the thrilling slasher film, They/Them (cleverly pronounced They-slash-Them), and you’ll definitely want to add this one to your summer watch list.
Since Netflix gave us The Fear Street Trilogy, we’ve been waiting for the next scary movie to come around. Lucky for us, the wait is almost over.
Related| Netflix Goes for the Throat With Queer Vampire Series ‘First Kill’
They/Them follows a group of teens brought together at a conversion camp led by camp director Owen Whistler (Kevin Bacon). “As the camp’s methods become increasingly more psychologically unsettling, the campers must work together to protect themselves. When a mysterious killer starts claiming victims, things get even more dangerous.”
Award-winning screenwriter John Logan is making his directorial debut with Jason Blum (Get Out, The Invisible Man) and Michael Aguilar (Penny Dreadful) set as producers. Bacon, Scott Turner, Howie Young, and Jon Romano are also on the team as executive producers.
“They/Them has been germinating within me my whole life. I’ve loved horror movies as long as I can remember, I think because monsters represent ‘the other’ and as gay kid I felt a powerful sense of kinship with those characters who were different, outlawed, or forbidden,” said Logan. “I wanted to make a movie that celebrates queerness, with characters that I never saw when I was growing up. When people walk away from the movie, I hope they’re going to remember the incredible love that these kids have for each other and how that love needs to be protected and celebrated.”
They/Them premieres on Peacock on August 5. Check out the rest of the cast and first-look images from the film below.
Cast and Characters
- Kevin Bacon (he/him) plays Owen Whistler, the conversion camp director who runs Whistler Camp alongside several counselors including his wife, Cora.
- Anna Chlumsky (she/her) plays Molly, the camp’s medic and newest employee.
- Carrie Preston (she/her) plays Cora Whistler, a licensed therapist in charge of the campers’ therapy sessions and the wife of camp director Owen Whistler.
- Theo Germaine (they/them) plays Jordan, a transgender and non-binary camper from a religious background who has made a deal with their parents to legally emancipate if attending Whistler doesn’t “work.” Quei Tann (she/her) plays Alexandra, a transgender woman whose parents have threatened to kick her out of the house if she didn’t attend the camp.
- Austin Crute (he/him) plays Toby, a gay camper who negotiated with his parents for a trip to New York in exchange for a week at Whistler Camp.
- Monique Kim (she/her) plays Veronica, a bisexual camper who wants to stop fighting who she really is.
- Anna Lore (she/her) plays Kim, a closeted lesbian camper who puts on a perfectly crafted front for her family and friends, assuming that when she fits in, she’ll finally be loved.
- Cooper Koch (he/him) plays Stu, a jock with aspirations of a swim scholarship and joining his father’s fraternity – things he doesn’t feel he can achieve if he’s open about being gay.
- Darwin del Fabro (he/him) plays Gabriel, a sensitive gay camper tired of the persistent name-calling and bullying he’s endured his entire life.